2/9/10

8 tips for going green at home

A few tips for going green at home:

1. Lower your heat at home as much as you can bear. This is particularly hard for me since I resent being cold in my own home. However, today I have decided to bring my heat down from 75 to 72 and 70 at night. It will not only save on my gas bill but it can save the environment. I will just put portable space heaters in my living room and dress warmly. Wish me luck!

2. Only wash clothes that really need it. If you just have one dirty spot, consider hand washing that area. Washing clothes uses a lot of water and energy. Again, this one is tough for me. I have a bad habit of just throwing everything in the hamper at the end of the day. Note: when you put clothes in the dryer clean the filter in order to use less energy.

3. If everyone in the United States reduced the junk mail s/he receives every week, 100 million trees would be spared each year. Go to optoutprescreen.com to stop receiving pre-approved credit card offers. I tried this myself and it was simple. Keep in mind your SSN is not required.

4. Opt to use a laptop over a desktop since the laptop uses half the energy of a desktop.

5. Use an aluminum bottle instead of buying plastic bottles. Even if you recycle those bottles transporting the bottles to the grocery store is not good for the environment

6. This one is obvious and I'm sure many of you already do it but turn off the tap as you brush your teeth or shave.

7. Donate old electronics, such as cell phone and batteries, to an electronic store so they can recycle them. I know Radio Shack takes them and probably many other electronic stores. These materials can not only be hazardous to the environment but also spend a long time in the landfills taking up wasted space.

8. Buy products that are green and use recycled materials, etc.

Some of these were taken from: http://www.realsimple.com/home-organizing/green-living/planet-friendly-tips-10000001604538/page8.html

1 comment: